Wednesday, July 18, 2012

living with animals

Our family was never one to own pets. We had a hamster (2, actually) for a short stretch, but they didn't last very long, and were near the end of my time at home. That is to say, animals were not part of the culture of our home. Accordingly, growing up I didn't have a feel for what it meant to have a pet as "part of the family." It just seemed kind of silly to hold an animal in that regard.

Since leaving for college, I've ended up having a couple of closer encounters with animals, from Hannah's dog and reptiles, to Picchu the cat and her brood, and now the McDougal Dachshunds. Living here with Ferg and Gwen has been a much more intimate interaction with dogs (and pets generally) than ever before, and I can honestly say I'm beginning to understand.

This morning the pup are curled up under my blanket after their morning romp. It was cold this morning, so they came in shivering and begging to be loved. Gwen was actually barking repeatedly until I finally let her into my room and helped her onto my bed. Annoying, but adorable.

It's fascinating to me how intuitive it is to interact with them. Not just telling them "Hey, stop that!" or "No! My food!" but even when they want to be cuddled, it just makes me really happy. And especially when they want to hang out in bed, there is a special, relaxed kind of intimacy. Like having another person there to cuddle with, it is relaxing and comforting to have a puppy lying there asking to be hugged and pet and patted.

To a certain extent, I'm sure the feelings of comfort and understanding can be explained away by personification of the animal, blah, blah, blah, but it doesn't change the emotional reality and significance of the connection. They really are very sweet dogs. And for that I am thankful.

Just reaffirms how much I want to have a pet when I am older. Though, my furball of choice will of course be a cat!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't grow up with animals, but I always wanted to have a dog. My parents let me get a rat when I was 11, which was supposed to fill that need. I loved my rats, but it's not really the same to have a small caged pet. I don't really have anything much to add to this. Just that I agree and dogs are awesome.
    Cats are cool too, but I'm allergic to them, so the whole post-pictures-of-cats-online thing works well for me :P

    ReplyDelete