Saturday, May 19, 2012

some photos from Chicago and the LJC Institute



The scene from outside my window as I rode the train from LA to Chicago. I passed all kinds of terrain, but this was one of the first tree-dominated landscapes I saw.


The Chicago Diner: awesome vegetarian restaurant, recommended to me by my new friend Mike M. After a long day in search of someplace to eat, this place was perfect!


The go-to hangout spot at North Park University, a dutch restaurant across the street from campus. They were kind enough to make a lunch item for me, since all of their dinner items were unfriendly to vegetarians.


Harold Washington Library in downtown Chicago. This is the 9th and top floor, where they have beautiful sky views and lovely seating areas with green trees growing and some lovely artwork inside. The entire library was beautiful, architecturally imposing all throughout. They even had musical practice rooms on one floor!


Me and Mike. Mike was an unbelievably kind host during my time with him, making it a point to spend time with me and share with me even though I came at a time when he was trying to move. I could not ask for a better host, or a better friend to make.


Now, onto more recent history. The whole reason I'm in Chicago is for a class on law and faith at Trinity Christian College (more on that later). Today, the class took a trip to Brookfield Zoo! We were split into about three groups, and this was my group: from left to right: Drew, Dan, Kara, and, of course, me!


Tapir!


This is how our team measured up against the height of a polar bear. Conclusion: polar bears are HUGE! 

Real post later, just wanted to get some photos out!


3 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I think a cross country train ride would be beautiful. May look into it to go out and see my mom in oregon next year. This post definitely sparked my wanderlust! Must... travel... asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The train is an awesome way to travel the country. Sadly, doesn't do you much in the way of saving money, but it's better for the planet, more lax luggage rules, and just a qualitatively different experience, in terms of what you see along the way, what you feel as you are traveling. Watching the country roll by, not having to stay awake or be in control. A chance to truly decompress--all there is to do is sit, breathe, read, listen to music. Generally quiet, too. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to mention write! I think that a train ride would give me tons of inspiration to put pen to paper :)

    ReplyDelete