Saturday, May 26, 2012

Chicago, part 3: leaving Trinity

This was the second and final week of my class at Trinity Christian College.

The ideas of the program were definitely more conservative (politically and theologically) than my own, but I really appreciated the time I spent there. It was really fun getting to know the other students a little bit, hearing their thoughts, passions and stories.

The last night of the Institute, I still had a lot of reading to do. So, I stayed up late into the night studying with some of my new friends, Kara, Rebecca, Rick, and Kyle. At midnight, we took a study break and all went to TGI Fridays for dessert. It was fun to be able to talk about whatever we wanted, to laugh out loud, and just enjoy one another's company. When we returned to campus, the night was so warm we took our books and laptops outside and pretended to study for a while out there. We went back after a little while, and after everyone else went to bed, I returned outside to continue work on my final paper.

Around 4, as I stepped out alone for the first time all night, I heard the birds fill the night air more loudly than any other time of day. I had forgotten about all these early birds. Their songs filled the still air, without disrupting the peace of the dark night sky. I wanted to join them, to sing in worship to God, but when the breath began to leave my lips, I could not bring myself to speak. Their songs were a piece of the silence of the air. My words would be a distraction. I was here as a witness to their song, stumbling upon a rehearsing choir and listening in unnoticed in the dark empty hall, the quiet grass of the small campus. Upon finding a place to seat myself, I allowed myself to be simply still. I watched as the dark of the night began to fade to light. I watched the silhouettes of birds flitting in the trees and to the tops of buildings. It was a beautiful sight.


No photos this time. Go read a poem instead. 


Maybe throw in a poem you're fond of in the comments section. Especially something by a living poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment