Saturday, June 30, 2012

breakfast with class



While looking for some other recipe last week, I came across the "Strawberry omelet." It sounded nuts, but I wanted to try it! So when a co-worker mentioned she would be picking strawberries, i asked her to pick me up some so I could try it.

This breakfast is the ultimate in class. Without a doubt the most beautiful omelet I've ever made.

Here's the recipe:

Strawberry Bliss Omelet (pulled from here)

I made a half-recipe, but here it is in full:

Ingredients

6 eggs
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
Confectioners' sugar


Directions

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, water, salt and pepper. Heat butter in a 10-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; add egg mixture. As the eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. I made the mistake of putting my eggs on the stovetop before I had sliced my strawberries. Don't do this. You don't want to need to be fiddling with your omelet when you should be cutting your strawberries!

When the eggs are almost set, sprinkle cream cheese, brown sugar and 1 cup strawberries over one side. Fold omelet in half. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until brown sugar begins to melt. Slide omelet onto a plate; top with remaining strawberries and dust with confectioners' sugar.



Our ingredients. The almond milk ended up being from the other recipe I was looking at. I almost put it in anyway, but I decided to start simple, and stick with the recipe. Always time for further exploration in the future.

In the rush of getting the strawberries sliced, I forgot to take any intervening pictures, but here's the finished product:


Ta-da! A breakfast with class. I added the powdered sugar a little later, and it really completes the meal! If there is such a thing as a breakfast wine, this is the meal to make with it. For now, I drank some cranberry-blueberry juice with it, which was delicious, of course.


Ultimately, my eggs did not completely set on the inside, but I think that may be because I wasn't lifting the edges enough earlier on. Still, it was good, and I'm going to continue experimenting. This one was not very sweet, so i think in the future I may try one of the ones where you put in milk and maybe vanilla. Nevertheless, today's was a successful breakfast adventure. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. breakfast wine? Not something I know about. That is beautiful. Note that being a bit runny inside of an omelet is one of the things that use to be done more in the past. I think that before the bottom begins to brown, if you cover the pan a bit, the steam should set the top.

    ReplyDelete